God has created each of us. Each of us created in His imagine, in His likeness. We bear God's imagine in our hearts. "Our feminine hearts have been created with the greatest of all possible dignities - as a reflection of God's own heart."
A WOMAN'S JOURNEY
Stasi points out that our journey begins with our hearts - meaning it begins with desire.
What expectations have been laid upon you, as a woman? What do you feel pressured to be? (Any question posted - feel free to respond to in the comments section of this blog!)
Stasi writes about, "an underlying, gut feeling of failing at who she is. I am not enough, and...I am too much at the same time."
I can say that I sometimes relate to that feeling. People around us can sometimes place unfair expectations of us. Expecting us to be a certain way or respond a certain way or to take on responsibilities when we may feel overwhelmed.
Aware of our deep failings, we pour contempt on our own hearts for wanting more. ...the desires set deep in our hearts seem like a luxury, granted only to those women who get their acts together...the message to the rest of us is try harder (pg 7).
THE HEART OF A WOMAN
We've missed the heart of a woman.
Proverbs 4:23
Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.
What is your favorite story or movie?
My favorite movie of all time is Serendipity. You can read a synopsis of the movie by clicking on the title.
Basically the characters John and Sara meet in Bloomingdale's and after spending some time together - part ways (read the synopses to see how it happens). Ok so Sara believes in fate and believes that if it's meant to be they will cross paths again. Several years pass and we find that yes, they do cross paths though in the most unlikely ways. The story continues with John and Sara attempting to find one another. So why do I love this movie so much? Because it is ROMANCE...it is the desire of these two people to desperately search for each other even though they live on opposite coasts. What girl doesn't want to be pursued like that?
We think you'll find that every woman in her heart of hearts longs for three things: to be romanced, to play an irreplaceable role in a great adventure, and to unveil beauty. That's what makes a woman come alive (pg 8).
ROMANCED
So here's where you get to do some work - define, in your own words, the desire to be romanced. What does it mean? What does it look or feel like?
I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far - I will find you. ~ Nathaniel to Cora in The Last of the Mohicans
Stasi writes, "He loved me. He saw me and knew me and pursued me. I loved being romanced." of John's pursuit for her heart.
How does being romanced make you feel?
IRREPLACEABLE
Did you want to play a vital role in a great story?
What sort of adventures do you enjoy?
Allowing yourself to dream a little bit, think about this: if you could do or be anything you wanted now, what would it be?
Sometimes before the sorrows of life did their best to kill it in us, most young women wanted to be part of something grand, something important. Before doubt and accusation take hold, most little girls sense that they have a vital role to play; they want to believe there is something in them that is needed and needed desperately.
BEAUTY TO UNVEIL
The King is enthralled by your beauty (NIV). And the king will desire your beauty (ESV). ~Psalm 45:11
Who is beautiful to you and why? Do you want to be beautiful, inside and out? Do you think you are or could be beautiful?
I want to be beautiful
And make you stand in awe
Look inside my heart
And be amazed
I want to hear you say
Who I am is quite enough
I just want to be worthy of love
And beautiful.
~ Bethany Dillon, "Beautiful"
Each of us wants to be beautiful. Not just in outward beauty but "desire to be captivating in the depths of who you are." As Stasi states, "We want beauty that can be seen; beauty that can be felt; beauty that affects others; a beauty all our own to unveil."
THE HEART OF A MAN
John (Stasi's husband) takes the reins here for a paragraph. John brings to light the heart of a man and poses the question "don’t you long for a man who will fight for you?" Men also long for adventure and John points out that "every man longs for a Beauty to rescue." He points out how the desires of a man's heart compliment the desires of a woman's heart.
Have you seen this desire (longing for a Beauty to rescue) in the men you know?
I can say that I see this in my dad. I can call any time of day, my sister to, and no matter what we need; my dad will do what he can to help us. Someone hurts my feelings and my dad's ready to go to battle for me. I know that I can trust him to look out for my best interest and heart. I can say those qualities are derived from God the Father - because my earthly Dad is made in His image.
BY WAY OF HEART
The longings God has written deep in your heart are telling you something essential about what it means to be a woman, and the life he meant for you to live. Now we know - many of those desires have gone unmet, or been assaulted, or simply so long neglected that most women end up living two lives. One on the surface we are busy and efficient, professional, even. We are getting by. On the inside, women lose themselves in a fantasy world or in cheap novels, or we give ourselves over to food or some other addiction to numb the aches of our hearts. But your heart is still there, crying out to be set free, to find the life your desires tell you of.
How do you handle your heart when your core desires are not being met?
In short, we have missed the heart of a woman. Going back to the scripture, "Guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life." Our hearts are the core of who we are.
Ever had your heart broken or watched a friend go through a breakup? Remembered how you felt or how they reacted to things happening around them? Think about a time when you were in love or a friend was happy in a new relationship! Oh how food tasted sweeter, the days seemed sunnier...all because our hearts were involved.
Let's take a step back and see how the Father desires to have that kind of relationship with us. He wishes to fulfill our desires and to give us life in abundance! To romance us and to walk with us in a relationship!
Do you believe that is possible to become the woman you secretly long to be, to woman who is romanced, irreplaceable, and utterly beautiful?
This last semester has been a difficult one. I moved away from home to attend graduate school and while I’ve loved and been so completely grateful for the opportunity, this time has also had its challenges. I've travelled home on a number of occasions and while in the midst of this semester had started this study.
I live in West Texas and one thing about West Texas skies is that they are expansive and utterly amazing. You can see storms in the far off distance but because the terrain is generally flat, the sunsets/sunrises are incredible! Such beautiful colors pain the skies and when the sun sets, the millions and millions of stars in the sky are so visible that you can't help but stare in awe.
It was on a drive home that I witnessed such a beautiful sunset and I realized - this is how God romances me! I love nature...love the beauty in nature...the smell of fresh air or the air after it rains. The beauty in a fresh blanket of snow - or the pattering of the rain. I realized these beautiful colors painted in the sky allow me to delight in who God is and to be romanced by His power and Love!
So the next time you get a chance to watch the sunset - take some time to see that yes, God is romancing you by painting such a beautiful picture in the sky for you to enjoy!
Can't wait to share and read your comments....praying for each of you and feel free to comment on parts of the study not mentioned in today's post!
Love you all in Him
Laura
P.S. See you next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment